- Calderon, M. (2007) Teaching reading to English language learners, Grades 6-12. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Gibbons, P. (2009). English learners academic literacy and thinking: learning in the challenge zone. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Zwiers, J. (2014). Building academic language: Meeting Common Core Standards Across Disciplines. (2nd Edition) San Francisco, CA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Zwiers, J. and M. Crawford. (2011). Academic conversations: Classroom talk that fosters critical thinking and content understandings. Portland, ME: Stenhouse Publishers.
- Cummins, J. (2014) Beyond language: Academic communication and student success. Linguistics and Education, 26, 145-154
- Fang, Z. (2008). Going beyond the fab five: Helping students cope with the unique linguistic challenges of expository reading in intermediate grades. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 51 (6), 476-487.
- Feldman K. & Kinsella, K. 2005. Narrowing the language gap: The case for explicit vocabulary instruction. Scholastic Professional Paper. Retrieved 6/29/2011 from http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/authors/pdfs/Narrowing_the_Gap.pdf
- Ranney, S. (2012). Defining and Teaching Academic Language: Developments in K-12 ESL, Language and Linguistics Compass 6/9 (2012): 560–574, 10.1002/lnc3.354
- Ranney,S., Schornack, M., Maguire, C. & Dillard-Paltrieri, E. (2014) Academic Language Demands: Texts, Tasks, and Levels of Language. MinneTESOL Journal, Spring 2014
- Verplaetse, L. (2007). Developing academic language through an abundance of interaction. In Verplaetse, L. & Migliacci, N. Inclusive Pedagogy for English Language Learners: A Handbook of Research-Informed Practices. Routledge.
- Zwiers, J. & Crawford, M. (2009). How to start academic conversations. Educational Leadership,70-73.
- Zwiers, J., O’Hara, S & Pritchard, R. (2014) Three Strategies for Enriching the Quantity and Quality of Classroom Talk ASCD Express, Vol 10, 5. http://www.ascd.org/ascd-express/vol10/1005-zwiers.aspx
- Zwiers, J., O’Hara, S. & Pritchard, R. (2015) Conversing to fortify literacy, language, and learning. MinneTESOL Journal. ttp://minnetesoljournal.org/spring-2015/conversing-to-fortify-literacy-language-and-learning