Academic Word Lists:
The following is a curated compilation of academic vocabulary word lists. Several of these lists contain both discipline-specific and general academic vocabulary terms. These terms can be integrated into pedagogical practices, used in course materials and resources, and downloaded by students and used as a reference.
- Coxhead , A. (2011). The academic word list 10 years on: Research and teaching implications. TESOL Quarterly, 45 (2) 355-362.
- Gardner & Davies (2014) A new academic vocabulary list. Applied Linguistics 35/3. 305-327.
- http://www.usingenglish.com/resources/wordcheck/ – a site with several academic word lists, allowing you to check for individual words on lists
- The main source of information about Coxhead’s Academic Word List http://www.victoria.ac.nz/lals/resources/academicwordlist
- http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~alzsh3/acvocab/index.htm – This site contains tools for using the AWL in teaching English. It contains a tool for identifying words on the AWL if you put text in – Look for the AWL highlighter link in the menu on the left.
- http://www.academicwords.info/ This site contains the new Academic Vocabulary List (See the article by Gardner and Davies) and tools for using it.
- http://www.wordandphrase.info/ This site is a tool for using the Academic Vocabulary List and it has a text analysis tool that where you can paste text to identify academic vocabulary in it, just like the AWL highlighter tool above.
- http://education.ky.gov/curriculum/conpro/engla/Documents/vocabulary_rating_comprehension_strategy_teaching%20tools.pdf – Tools for having students rate their knowledge of vocabulary
- http://textproject.org/library/research-digest/This site developed by Elfrieda Hierbert has some interesting analyses of different types of vocabulary in elementary reading materials and approaches to selecting and teaching vocabulary.
Learners’ dictionaries for ESL